Many people struggle with applying for healthcare assistance programs. The Arc can provide information to assist you in choosing and applying for the coverage you need.


Medical Assistance

Medical Assistance is the way many families of children and adults with disabilities pay for services, like Personal Care Assistance (PCA) and waivers. It is also a starting point in applying for a waiver.  

MNsure is Minnesota’s health insurance exchange and the “front door” where most Minnesotans apply for healthcare programs like Medical Assistance, MinnesotaCare, Qualified Health Plans (QHPs, private insurance plans), and financial assistance to purchase these QHPs. Some people with disabilities apply for healthcare programs through MNsure, while others apply directly through their county of residence.


How Can The Arc Help?

The Arc can provide information to assist you in choosing and applying for the coverage you need. Advocates will provide tools to guide you through the application process and facilitate communication with your county and the state.


Who is Eligible for Assistance From The Arc?

The Arc provides information about healthcare access to people with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their family members living in the same household within the 7-county metro area.


How Do We Help?

Advocates at The Arc are available to answer questions about:

  • MNsure, including Insurance Affordability Programs (Medical Assistance, MinnesotaCare, Qualified Health Plans)
  • Healthcare programs specifically designed for people with disabilities (MA-TEFRA, MA for Employed Persons with Disabilities and Special Needs Basic Care)
  • Parental fees for the MA-TEFRA program
  • Disability certifications through the State Medical Review Team
  • Covered services
  • How private insurance works with Medical Assistance and the county’s private insurance review process (called “Cost Effective Health Insurance”)
  • Evaluating your options, and helping you determine how to apply for coverage (through MNsure or directly through a county using a paper application)
  • Renewals for healthcare programs

How Do I Get More Information?

For more information, call The Arc at 952.920.0855 or toll-free at 833.450.1494, or submit your question to Ask An Advocate.