You can support Spanish-speaking families who have a child with an intellectual and developmental disability by volunteering once or twice a month for two hours.
The Arc Greater Twin Cities is looking for volunteers for ¡Adelante! a networking opportunity for Spanish-speaking families who have a family member with an intellectual and developmental disability. Time commitment is up to 3 hours a month per group, which includes transportation time. You do not need to speak Spanish in order to participate and you may volunteer for those months/dates that work with your schedule.
Volunteers help with registration, set up and clean up, and with child care. The first 30 minutes of ¡Adelante! is focused on food, fun and conversation among family members. For the next 90 minutes, adults meet as a group to listen to a guest speaker or have a discussion regarding a particular topic with an Arc staff person while the children are engaged in recreational activities. Volunteers participate and facilitate conversation during the first 30 minutes and with the recreational activities.
- Meets the 2nd Thursday of the month from 6:30-8:30pm
- Meets Andersen United Community School – located 1098 Andersen Ln, Minneapolis
- 2016 meeting dates: Sept 8th, Oct 13th, Nov 10th and Dec 8th
- 2017 meeting dates: Jan 12th, Feb 9th, March 9th, Apr 13th and May 11th
¡Adelante! St. Paul
- Meets the 4th Wednesday of the month from 6:30-8:30pm
- Meets at John A. Johnson Achievement Plus Elementary School – located at 740 York Ave, St. Paul
- 2016 meeting dates: Sept 28th, Oct 26th, Nov 23rd & Dec 8th (combined with Mpls for a year end party)
- 2017 meeting dates: Jan 25th, Feb 22nd, March 22nd, Apr 26th and May 24th
To volunteer contact Michelle Theisen at 952-920-0855 or firstname.lastname@example.org.