Ask An Advocate Q&A |

Ask An Advocate: Sports Participation

Q: My daughter is eight and has Down syndrome.  She loves to play baseball.  Where can I find a program for her this summer?


A: Summer sports are listed in the community education, school district or local parks and recreation websites.  You can also check with the YMCA or YWCA.  Your child may be able to participate without any help or accommodations.  If she needs accommodations, these programs are required by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) to provide reasonable accommodations so she can participate.  If you are looking for a program specifically for children with disabilities, try adaptive sports programs offered through your city or school district.  Another option is Special Olympics which offers many types of sports for athletes with and without disabilities.


For more information, please call The Arc Minnesota at (952) 920-0855 or check our website at