Ask An Advocate Q&A |

Ask An Advocate: MnCHOICES Assessment

Q. I have a 16 year old son with a disability, and due to his disability, he needs help taking care of himself. He isn’t able to help much around the house and I help him with things like getting dressed and showering. Other family members help him too but we don’t get any other assistance. I want him to be able to get a job and move out of the house someday. Is there any help for him?

A. I would suggest calling your county human services department and request a MnCHOICES assessment. MnCHOICES can determine what publicly funded services your son might be eligible for. A county staff person will come to your home to interview your son about his life. Other family members can be part of the assessment. At the end of the assessment, your son will be given basic information on what supports he may be eligible for and what to do next. For more information, please read the Arc Guide to MnCHOICES. If you have more questions, please call us at 952.920.0855.