Ask An Advocate Q&A |

Ask An Advocate: Cost of Living Options

Q: My daughter receives $750 each month in Social Security Income and is looking for a job and her own apartment. Her benefit is not enough to pay for rent, food, and clothes. Are there additional financial supports available?


A: Yes. Most individuals on Supplemental Security Income (SSI) are eligible for both Minnesota Supplemental Aid (MSA and Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). MSA is an extra monthly payment from the state to those on SSI to help meet costs of living. SNAP is funding to help pay for the cost of food. Both assistance programs are applied for using the Combined Application Form. You can find the application here:…/Public/DHS-5223-ENG-pform


Please contact The Arc Minnesota at 952-920-0855 or toll-free at 833-450-1494 if you have questions.