Ask An Advocate Q&A |

Ask An Advocate: Applying for Medical Assistance

Q. My 11-year-old son has an intellectual and developmental disability and I was told I should apply for Medical Assistance for him. I keep seeing information about the open enrollment through MNsure being November 1, 2018 – January 13, 2019. Is that when I should apply for him?

A. Fantastic question! There are many levels of answers to this question, and ultimately the answer is no. Typically the time period is for people looking to buy private health insurance. There are multiple types of healthcare that people can apply for on MNsure’s website, and depending on the type and situation, applications may need to be made during open enrollment. For Medical Assistance, there is not a specific enrollment period. You can apply anytime using the online MNsure application during the year and see if you are eligible for Medical Assistance.

Look at our resources focused on health care to find out more (including when to not apply for healthcare through MNsure), call us at 952.920.0855 or toll-free at 1.833.450.1494 or ask your questions online through Ask An Advocate.